Planting Tomatoes 




Last weekend I planted-up six of my tomatoes into their final homes, big 40cm self-watering containers: I was a bit dubious about the weather, which is why I only planted six, even though I plan to have at least sixteen. By the middle of May the chances of getting frost in my part of the world should be very small, but you never know.

As it happens, I’m glad I only did six, because on Tuesday night the temperature fell to only just above freezing (1.3C to be precise). Fortunately I had taken heed of the weather forecast and carried the tomato-containers into the garage – which was not easy, since they are quite heavy and have a 5-foot cane sticking up!

Since I had to go out to work early as usual, the tomatoes remained in the garage until Wednesday evening when I dutifully took them back outside. Actually, I bet they wished I hadn’t because Thursday was a rotten day – wet and windy, with the maximum daytime temperature reaching only 9C.

It wasn’t practical to move 26 containers of potatoes into the garage, so I covered them with a length of fleece – that 10-meter piece that I had bought as my “insurance policy”. This was exactly the occasion for which I had bought it, and it served the purpose nicely.

More http://bit.ly/1IDTl6I



'via Blog this'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experts Discuss 6 Reasons To Stop Cleaning Ears with Cotton Swabs (Video)

CBD Oil Being Hailed the New Treat All Natural Remedy (Video)